Why Webgl?

For the website I intend to create, as the digital instruction manual, I have decided to incorporate Webgl as a basis for animating and texturing the planets. After my tutorial with James on Monday, we spoke through my idea in more detail and discovered that in order to reach out to my target audience efficiently, I need to avoid plug-ins.

Since wanting to create a workshop experience for young children in primary school, it would be more effective if this digital experience was accessible without having to download a particular software or plug-in.  My intended audience of primary schools (buying the kit to accompany science lessons etc) will be more inclined to take part in the workshop, if they have less to pay for and less to access, as a means of the workshop taking place effectively.

I haven’t overly used Webgl before, so i’m spending this evening watching tutorials on the basic stages. http://learningwebgl.com/blog/?page_id=1217 has many different videos that you can progress through, and improve upon already inherited knowledge in the area. I intend to finalise on my designs and then begin the build of this website next week sometime. I want to complete each stage of this project thoroughly before progressing onto the next step, in order for things to work more fluidly. However, due to continuing the research of this, right the way through, there will always be space and inspiration for things to take a new turn.

Why Webgl?